A friend of ours had a quilt that had some holes and he asked if I could have a go at repairing it. I couldn’t say no, so I brought it home and had a bit of a look… I found out that it was quite easy to fix and had been made in an interesting way.
If you have a look here:
you can kind of see that the red velvet has come out from under the other bit of fabric, which is almost like a wide ribbon. That “ribbon” has been folded over into a hem, and then with the velvet tucket under, has been topstitched… which has also been the way they have quilted the entire quilt, if that makes any sense at all…!! So they haven’t actually sewn the two fabrics together and then quilted it… which is why it is literally coming apart at the seams.
It was a big quilt, and I found four rips/holes in it. One good thing about the method in which it was made, it was easy to fix. But I imagine it is going to end up with more holes… Here is a photo of the whole quilt:
After I finished fixing the quilt yesterday, we decided to head over to one of the compounds where we used to live. Every Friday morning they have a very nice brunch, and we’d been meaning to go ever since we got back here.
We have known some of the guys who work there for years. It’s not an easy life for them – they only get to go “home” every two years and see their family. But it is the way they support their families and educate their children, so they do it. And they have it much better than some of their other countrymates who have to work outside in construction… or other such jobs.
Oh, and for dessert… I played with Emmie G:
Sign Up for My Newsletter!
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get this stitchery pattern free!